Law Enforcement Info
An Important Message to Law Enforcement Officers
All missing children’s photographs and posters disseminated by OPERATION LOOKOUT® are authorized as noted below:
- Case is being handled as a Civil Matter and/or has been entered into the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s National Crime Information Center (NCIC).
- A Hold Harmless waiver from the parent, legal guardian, or law enforcement agency is on file with OPERATION LOOKOUT® authorizing the dissemination of the missing child’s photograph.
- Regardless the duration of the case, OPERATION LOOKOUT will continue to work with the family after the missing child has passed age 18 years of age, unless reason to cease is otherwise noted by law enforcement or the searching party.
- Abductor(s) photographs are only included when the subject has been entered into the NCIC Wanted Person File and a felony warrant has been issued.
Law enforcement officers should contact the appropriate law enforcement agency before taking action on a missing child or abductor portrayed on this site, in our posters, or any other printed material.
- OPERATION LOOKOUT provides a 24/7 Helpline for leads and emergencies. The Helpline operator takes no direct action, however, they will dispatch the call to the appropriate Case Manager. Using triage, the Case Manager will qualify the caller and pass forward the details to the law enforcement jurisdiction involved with the case-at-hand.
Law enforcement officers should also be aware; some international cases do not have criminal warrants issued and are subject to the process of the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, an international treaty. For more information, contact OPERATION LOOKOUT® National Center for Missing Youth at 1-800-566-5688 within the US and Canada. All other countries dial 001-425-771-7335.