Victim surprised by suspect in bed

A Toano woman breaks free of a convicted sex offender, police say.


April 26, 2005

JAMES CITY -  A Toano woman went to bed Sunday night with her 8-year-old daughter sleeping at her side.

But about 5 a.m., she awoke in the arms of a stranger – a 26-year-old
convicted sex offender, according to James City Police Major Stan Stout.

The man, who she later learned lived nearby, had his arms around her and
was holding her down, Stout said. He told the woman his name was Chris
and that he wasn’t going to hurt her.

The woman, who is 33, struggled to break free from the man’s grip, Stout
said. She then told the man to leave her house. The man left, and she
went looking for her 8-year-old, finding her in her own bed, Stout said.
The mother and daughter hadn’t been sexually assaulted.

The woman called police, giving officers a physical description of the
man who had entered her home. The description led officers to suspect a
man that they had contact with in the past, Stout said. Police presented
the woman with a spread of photos, and she identified Christopher John
Burruss, 26.

Police found Burruss hiding in a shed behind his home on Old Stage Road,
where he lived with his father. He was charged with burglary with intent
to commit assault and abduction. Other charges are possible, Stout said.

Before climbing into bed with the mother, the suspect apparently picked
up the 8-year-old girl from the spot she was sleeping in, carrying her to
her own bed. The girl later told her mother that she remembered being
picked up, but she thought it was her older brother who was carrying her.

Police think Burruss entered the home through a back door that was left
unlocked, Stout said.

Officers learned that Burruss was convicted of a sex offense in June 2000
in Connecticut, but he wasn’t listed in the Virginia or Connecticut sex
offender registries.

After his arrest, Burruss was taken to Sentara Williamsburg Community
Hospital for a medical examination because he told police he’d taken a
large amount of Tylenol. Stout said a police guard was watching Burruss
at the hospital Monday evening.

Copyright ©2005 The Daily Press

Leave a Reply