Abducted children return home

By Kristen Bradley / Daily News Staff
Tuesday, November 8, 2005

MARLBOROUGH — Two local children were reunited with their family last
night after being abducted by a Lynn woman and her boyfriend who police
said tied up the mother, held a knife to her throat and beat her with a
billy club.

With the help of an Amber Alert, the saga came to an end around 9 last
night when Cathy Trotta, 37, was found hiding in a hotel room at Logan
International Airport.

Her alleged accomplice, Denis J. Piper, 43, was still at large as of
press time.

Cathy Trotta, the biological mother of one of the children, was to be
arraigned this morning in Marlborough District Court on four counts of
kidnapping, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and armed
assault inside a dwelling.

According to police, Trotta went to kidnap her two biological children –
5-year-old Grace and 6-year-old Elizabeth — from their foster home at
144 Pleasant St. The children were being raised by Trotta’s uncle and his
wife, Rebecca Borey, the victim of the beating.

Elizabeth Trotta was at school when Trotta arrived with Piper, police

But Grace and Rebecca Borey and Borey’s own son, 3-year-old Christian,
were at home around 2:30 yesterday afternoon.

Trotta and Piper forced their way into the home, tied Borey up, held a
knife to her throat and beat her, police said.

During the assault, Borey’s 18-year-old daughter arrived home and
frantically called police.

Trotta and Piper snatched Grace Trotta and Christian Borey, stole Rebecca
Borey’s Chevy Suburban and took off, running over a child’s bicycle
during the getaway, police said. The collision with the bike blew out a
tire, slowing down their escape.

Police believe that due to the blowout, Piper dropped Trotta and the two
kids at her car, a 1992 Cadillac DeVille.

Piper then allegedly ditched the stolen Suburban at the Dunkin’ Donuts on
Lakeside Avenue, and was seen running on foot down Rte. 20.

Marlborough Police said they were already hot on Trotta and Piper’s
trail. After witnesses reported seeing a man fleeing from the coffee
shop, local police called in the Massachusetts State Police and its
canine unit.

The dogs were able to follow the man’s scent from the Dunkin’ Donuts to
the nearby Holiday Inn parking lot, but lost the scent there.

Police said they believe Piper probably fled the parking lot in a car –
most likely picked up by Trotta.

At that point, a statewide Amber Alert was issued for the missing
children. Around 7 p.m., Piper dropped off Christian Borey in Malden at
an acquaintance’s house, police said. That person, who police would not
identify, knew about the Amber Alert and called police.

Then a cab driver reported to police that he had dropped off a mother and
daughter, matching the alert description, at Logan Airport.

Around 8:30, state police assigned to Logan received a tip that someone
had spotted Trotta, with the 5-year-old girl, booking a flight to Miami.
Although they managed to get tickets despite the Amber Alert, they then
missed the flight.

After that, police said Trotta checked into the Embassy Suites near the
airport. As state police canvassed airport hotels, they found Trotta in a
third-floor hotel room with the girl, who appeared OK, police said.

Hotel personnel said Piper checked in with Trotta and the girl, but was
not found when Trotta was arrested and Grace was taken into safety by
state police.

Police are still on the lookout for Piper, who they believe is armed and

“If anyone comes in contact with (Piper) they should consider him a
danger and call police,” Marlborough Police Chief Mark Leonard said.

A judge had placed Trotta’s two daughters at the Pleasant Street home
about five years ago, according to Denise Monteiro, spokeswoman for the
Department of Social Services. It was called a kinship home. The two
little girls were living with Cathy Trotta’s uncle and his wife, the
victim Rebecca Borey.

Trotta also has a 10-year-old son, who has been in DSS care for most of
his life.

Both Trotta and Piper are known to Lynn Police, although details about
their criminal past were not available last night.

Around 9:30, Grace Trotta and Christian Borey were reunited with their
family at the airport and escorted by police back to their Pleasant
Street address.

Leonard said last night he was happy that both kids were back home safe
and sound. cgb

“The Amber Alert definitely helped in this case,” he said.

“It allowed law enforcement to get the information out that we needed to
get out which before wasn’t always possible. It certainly helped
us….We’re just glad they’re home and appear to be OK.”

© Copyright of CNC and Herald Interactive Advertising Systems, Inc.

Leave a Reply