What are matching gifts?
In 1954, Philip Reed, Chairman of the General Electric Board of Directors, encouraged GE employees to make contributions to their alma maters. As an incentive, the company offered to match the employee's donations. The idea quickly spread to other companies and, in fact, became so popular that the program was expanded to include many types of nonprofit charitable organizations. Today, corporate matching gift programs account for billions of dollars in desperately needed funds given annually to nonprofit organizations.How does matching gifts work?
- Every company has its own matching gift procedures, and the process is generally quite simple. This is an example of a typical program, as well as specific ways you can help Operation Lookout through your company:
- Request eligibility for Operation Lookout to participate in your company’s matching gift program. Inform the human resources department that Operation Lookout is the nonprofit organization of your choice. Request that the HR department send the company’s guidelines to Operation Lookout, if applicable, to the address below.
- Generally, the human resource department of a company has matching gift forms available to the employee upon request. If the company agrees to match your donation to Operation Lookout, request a form.
- Complete the form, and along with your donation, send it to Operation Lookout.
- Operation Lookout certifies on the form that it has received the gift from the employee and meets the company's guidelines for receiving a matching gift.
- Operation Lookout returns the form to the company.
- The company verifies eligibility of the employee and Operation Lookout.
- The company matches your donation dollar-for-dollar: $25 dollars becomes $50; $100 becomes $200 and so forth. The company then sends the matching funds check to Operation Lookout.
If your company does not have a matching gift program, suggest the idea to them. It is an effective way for the company to promote their corporate image, while at the same time, providing their employees with an opportunity to double the impact of their donations.How can you get involved?
Please check with your Human Resources Department and ask if they will match your contribution or make one of their own to Operation Lookout.
Thank you for sharing in the joy of Hope, Answers
and Resolve by participating in Matching Gifts for Missing Kids!